shop Lola

Since turning 28 my cycle has changed and my symptoms are different. Is this happening because my hormones are changing two years away from turning 30?

Ask an expert series is a space for you to get answers to all your questions.  Have a question you’ve been wondering about? Ask here.

Since turning 28 in October my cycle has changed. I have always had hard cycles but now my symptoms are different. Right before or my first night of my period I will usually have a night when I have gas, I get a little hot, I poop a few times, and my heart beats a little fast. This will happen also one night after my period is finished. I do cramp and my stomach just feels blah sometimes. I am also feeling more anxious and weepy the week of my period and the week after. My hormonal acne it braking out on my chest, back, and shoulders more. Is this all happening because my hormones are changing because in two years I turn 30?

The symptoms that we experience with our cycles can certainly change over the course of our lifetime. Many factors can play into this from the stress in our lives, the development of any possible medical conditions, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, environmental exposures, to lifestyle factors such as sleep/diet/exercise. All of these pieces collectively can influence how we experience the hormonal shifts throughout a menstrual cycle.

The unpleasant symptoms that show up such as acne, mood swings, pain, gastrointestinal changes are typically going to show up several days before and/or during the days that we bleed. Your recent symptom development might not be due to how your hormones are changing with age, but rather how your body is responding differently to the hormonal shifts. There are many options to support your body through these natural ups and downs.

One of the first things that I work with for patients is to see what sort of contributing factors may be playing into these symptoms that you are having. Start by talking to your doctor to brainstorm what may be going on. If you are looking for a more natural approach, ask an integrative, functional medicine specialist or naturopathic physician for their guidance.