Being the head of social media and content at Birchbox was a dream job! To outsiders the beauty industry can seem superficial and judgmental, but in my experience it’s mostly empowering and joyful. Any woman knows that nothing makes you feel confident and ready to tackle the world like a fresh blow-out or clear glowing skin. So helping women find products that make them feel this way has always felt like a privilege. AND in order to be great at my job I need to be an expert, which means trying EVERYTHING. What could be more fun?
Eventually, somewhere around year 4, I started to calculate how many lotions, potions, serums, balms, sprays, and glosses I had slathered on over the years and started to worry about what was in them. I care so much about what’s in my food and goes into my body—why not what goes on my body? I had a few natural products in my routine already (W3ll People Narcissist Foundation stick No5 – can’t live without it) but not BECAUSE they were natural, that was just a coincidence. So, I decided to dive into natural beauty and see what was what. You can see a video and read an article about my experience here and here.
I started to calculate how many lotions, potions, serums, balms, sprays, and glosses I had slathered on over the years and started to worry about what was in them.
After a week of going fully ingredient conscious (that’s what we call it at Birchbox), I found some favorites and integrated them into my routine. I don’t use exclusively natural products, just like I don’t eat exclusively organic, but I try my best to find natural products that I love, and that makes me feel like I’m going in the right direction. And, even though I’ve transitioned out of my full-time role at Birchbox to focus on my own company, Love Stories TV — a place to watch and share wedding videos — I’m still a beauty junkie and won’t be using fewer products anytime soon, so it’s still important to me to be using natural products whenever possible.
Here are the ingredient conscious products that I use as a part of my daily routine. (Note – these are all from Birchbox.com’s “Ingredient-Conscious” shop category, which includes best-in-class products that are formulated without the ingredients our customers are most concerned about: parabens, phthalates, sulfates, petrochemicals, and GMOs. You can shop the products here.)
1. W3LL PEOPLE Narcissist Foundation Stick in no 5: I use this as an under eye concealer (apply directly with stick and blend with fingers or Beauty Blender), or as foundation on days I want foundation (most days I just wear a CC or BB cream). I love this because it’s smooth, long wearing, and easy to keep in my makeup bag and apply on the go.
2. Tata Harper Volumizing Lip and Cheek Tint: I use this almost every day and always carry it in my makeup bag. I dot it onto the apples of my cheeks for a very natural flush of color (makes me look younger I think?) and then wipe the excess on my lips for a bitten look. Also, sometimes I layer onto my lips for a beautiful berry red shade.
3. Dear Clark, Resurrecting Wash: I LOVE the smell of this shampoo! It really wakes me up and gives me a kick in the shower. I try to wash my hair as infrequently as possible but this really clarifies without stripping of moisture.
4. Evelyn Iona Natural & Organic Mascara: Great everyday mascara. Full disclosure: I never wear fewer than 2 mascaras at a time (usually 3) but I use this one as the first layer since it’s organic (not sure that’s a scientific method). I like the bushier brush because makes my lashes voluminous and the formula is smooth and jet black.
5. derma e® Microdermabrasion Scrub: I loooove this scrub. I wish I could use it every day twice a day – DON’T DO THAT. Over-exfoliating is a major mistake people make, it dries out your skin and then your body overproduces oil. Anyhow, the 2-3 times a week I’m allowed I use this and it truly gets into pores, cleans my skin and leaves it super soft.